May is Mental Health Awareness Month and we are connecting with our community to share ways in which we can help those affected by mental illness. This fact guides us: One in five people will experience mental health challenges in their lives.
So, there are five weeks in the month of May this year, and we’re going to present five topics — one per week — to discuss and share. We’re going to post ideas, tips, and resources on maintaining good mental health and we will challenge our members and supporters to do the same. We will also challenge our community to join us in helping to end stigma and encourage more open communication about mental health.
NAMI Westside LA’s Mental Health Awareness Month Challenge for Week 1: Talk
Yes, talk! We’re challenging you to discuss mental health and to try to engage five people in discussions about mental health. You can speak with family members, friends, classmates, teachers, colleagues, neighbors, community leaders, or members in support groups.
Five ideas to get you started:
- Reach out to those who have experienced mental health challenges in the past, to see how they’re doing and ask if they’d like to talk.
- Connect with those who have loved ones with mental health conditions, to see how they’re doing and ask if they’d like to talk.
- Talk to someone who helped you in the past, to express your thanks.
- Contact local representatives, asking them to support more mental health services in your community.
- Attend a support group (NAMI WLA support groups) to share your experiences and hear from others.